The sexy sweet potato and curry rice based burger will have you cheating on your mushroom burger recipe. This burger combines mushrooms, curry, sweet potatoes, rice, and onion, with curry spices. These burgers are zesty and provide just enough oomph in your bite to satisfy any hunger. This recipe includes a creamy, tangy avocado-lime sauce that is ideal for the spicy flavors of the burgers.
Sweet Potato & Curry Rice Burgers
This recipe is dairy free as well as gluten free.
FOR THE BURGERS:
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms, diced
- 1/3 of a white onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- A sprinkle of cracked black pepper
FOR THE AVOCADO LIME SPREAD:
- 1 whole avocado
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- Black cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Bun of your choice
- Onion slices
- Prepare rice first cooking according to directions on your package.
- While rice is cooking place your sweet potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover the bottom and place a cover on top, let steam on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft and smash-able.
- Once those are both cooked measure them to make sure you get 2 cups cooked rice and 1 1/2 cups smashed sweet potato and place both ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the mushrooms and onion and add those to the mixture as well, stir everything up.
- Add in olive oil and spices and mix well.
- For tennis ball-sized balls and place them in a non-stick skillet (or spray a skillet with spray but non-stick ones work best, as they are fragile burgers) once you place them in the skillet press them down so they for a thick burger shape, push sides together with spatula, if needed.
- Let them cook on medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes on each side, being very careful when flipping so they do not break.
- While they are cooking you can make the avocado lime spread, add all the ingredients for the spread into a s=bowl and mash really well.
- Once burgers are done, assemble and enjoy.