What happens when you combine smoky flavoring, soy sauce, maple syrup, veggie broth, and extra firm tofu? We can assure you the outcome is pure magic! The tofu just soaks in the smoky-sweet flavor of the marinade. Even more flavor is sealed into the tofu while being pan fried. Watch as this magic sandwich is validated as it will quickly disappear.
This Grilled Marinated Tofu Sandwich is Vegan and will Feed 2.
Here are the ingredients:
The Smoked Tofu will require:
- 1 14-ounce extra firm sprouted tofu sliced in half, then each half sliced into 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon water
The Sandwich will require:
- 1/3 cup pickled vegetables or pickles, finely diced
- 1/2 medium carrot, shredded
- A handful of baby spinach
- Vegan mayo
- Spicy mustard
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 4 slices of rustic bread
- Vegan butter
- In a shallow baking dish combine liquid smoke, vegetable broth, soy sauce, maple syrup, and water and mix to combine. Place tofu in baking dish soaking each side in the mixture – set aside.
- While the tofu is marinating, prep the vegetables.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and allow to melt. Once the oil is melted place as many slices of tofu into the pan. You may or may not be able to fit all 8 slices at one time, it will depend on the size of your pan.
- Add half the liquid to the pan. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes, or until liquid is mostly evaporated and tofu is golden brown. Flip tofu and add the remaining liquid to the pan. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Assemble the sandwiches by spreading butter on one side of each slice of bread. Spread mayonnaise and mustard on each unbuttered side. Layer carrots, pickles, tofu, and spinach on a slice of bread, and top with the other slice, buttered side up. Repeat with the other 2 slices, making a total of 2 sandwiches.
- Using the same frying pan used to fry the tofu, place the 2 sandwiches in the pan. Heat pan over medium heat and cook each side until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Need to know:
The cooked tofu will last about a week in the fridge, so you can prepare on the weekend for the week ahead with no problems.