This whole wheat Carrot Bread is extremely low-fat and tastes great. This carrot concoction is good for you as it contains the wholesome goodness of applesauce and flax. Feel free to sweeten to your liking with honey, or turbinado sugar. However, we think it tastes great just the way it is. Enjoy!
Low Fat Vegan Carrot Bread
This Recipe is Vegan, Low Fat, Dairy Free, and Oil Free.
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp powdered cardamom (run the whole pods– about 10– in a coffee grinder with a tablespoon of the sugar to get a fine grind)
- 1 cup cashew nuts, chopped into large pieces
- Mix the ingredients together and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together:
- 3 tbsp flaxmeal and 9 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
Then whisk in
- 1 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 1/4 cups grated carrots
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, with a spatula or a whisk, using 1/3rd of the flour at a time. You want a lumpy but well-integrated batter. Do not overmix because you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour.
- Grease and flour two standard-size loaf pans. Divide the batter equally between the two and smooth down the top.
- Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack about 15 minutes, then slide a knife around the edges to unmold. Place right-side-up on a rack to cool