If you don’t like green beans, you will still love this pizza. If you love green beans then this pizza will become a new staple in your weekly rotation. Prtepare the topping and crust in advance. However, trust us on this one – wait to assemble them until guests arrive, or until you’re at your final cooking destination.
Green Bean Casserole Pizza
This recipe is vegan, as well as dairy free.
8 – 10
- 1 vegan pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 lb white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened soy yogurt (see note)
- ¾ cups fried onion pieces + more for topping
- Pre-cook crust in a 450° oven for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Bring a gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to boil. Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes, then drain and plunge into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms start to give up some liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and nutmeg and cook 1-2 more minutes. Add flour and stir. Cook for 1 minute, then add the vegetable stock and cook until bubbling.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the soy yogurt. Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally – about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup of fried onions and the green beans. Spread over prepared pizza crust and bake 10-15 minutes until crust is golden and toppings are hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with more fried onions to taste.