These dumplings are absolutely delicious; chewy, flavorful, and and great for any occasion. The combination of textures of the spinach, water chestnuts, coupled with the sweet/spiciness… oh my I just had a flashback and my mouth started watering. Spice it up with sriracha sauce sweetened with coconut sugar and sprinkle in some chopped peanuts for the magic touch. Enjoy!
Delicious Peanut Chili Dumpling Recipe
This recipe is dairy free and completely vegan.
FOR THE DUMPLING DOUGH:
- 1 1/2 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Cornflour, for dusting
FOR THE FILLING:
- 3 cups English spinach
- 1 ounce chives or a loose handful
- 1 cup canned water chestnuts, drained
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds
FOR THE PEANUT CHILI SAUCE:
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
TO MAKE THE DOUGH:
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl and make a well.
- Add the boiling water slowly, mixing the batter with chopsticks to distribute
- Using clean hands, bring the flour and water together into a rough ball
- Knead the ball on a clean counter for around 2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Rest the dough for 30 minutes in the mixing bowl with a plate or cling film covering.
TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- Put the spinach, chestnuts, and chives in a food processor and pulse to a fine chop.
- In a large fry pan or wok, heat the sunflower oil and add the ginger and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach mixture and cook for around 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce and cook for another minute.
- Add the sesame oil and chia seeds.
- Give a final stir and remove from the heat.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar and stir for 10 seconds.
- Add the Sriracha sauce, the tamari and apple cider vinegar. Stir for a minute.
- Stir in the peanuts.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to thin and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, remove the sauce from the heat and pour into a serving bowl.
To Make the Dumplings:
- After the dough has rested, cut it into two, leaving one half in the bowl covered.
- Lightly flour a clean counter and roll the dough out thin.
- Depending on which dumpling fold you are using, cut the dough into squares or circles.
- Lay the wrappers on top of each other sprinkling a little cornflour between each.
- Repeat with the second half of the dough.
- Spoon a little over a teaspoon of spinach filling in the centre of the wrapper.
- Wet the top half only of the wrapper and fold the dumpling in half to form a triangle pressing the edges together to seal.
- Repeat until your mixture is finished.
- Quarter fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the bowl.
- Put the dumplings on a parchment-lined steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
- Serve with the peanut chili sauce, fresh chives, and black sesame seeds.