Do you love chocolate chips as much as we do? This recipe combines Veg favorite almonds, with the whipped goodness of cacao and a touch of sweetness. These sandwiches are actually fun to make and even more fun to enjoy. Get your summer started right with these chocolatey delights.
Chocolate Chunk Almond Sandwich Cookies
This recipe is vegan and gluten free.
FOR THE COOKIES:
- 4 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Vegan Chocolate Chips or cacao nibs
FOR THE COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 13.66-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, set in your refrigerator overnight
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Chocolate chips or cacao nibs
TO MAKE THE COOKIES:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to form a dough.
- Add chocolate chunks and stir to combine.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the cookies onto your lined baking sheets and press them down with the back of a fork.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, switching the racks halfway through, until they’re golden and starting to brown on the bottom.
- Remove and let cool.
TO MAKE THE COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM:
- Scoop out the coconut cream that has separated in the can and place it in a medium bowl.
- Using a mixer, whip the coconut cream until peaks start to form. Add maple syrup and almond extract and continue to whip until it resembles whipped cream.
- Stir in the smaller chocolate chunks and place the whipped cream in your fridge to harden.
- When cookies are completely cool and the whipped cream has firmed up, you can make your sandwiches.
- Place a large spoonful of the whipped cream on the underside of a cookie and top with a second cookie. Continue for the remaining cookies. Serve immediately.