Are you ready for a party in your mouth? The main guests are chickpeas and fresh cilantro, these hearty and flavorful burgers will be a hit with everyone. There is ample substance to this burger, to satisfy veg lovers as well as those that we do not speak of…the meat eaters. We know you will love vegan friendly delight.
Chickpea Cilantro Veg Burgers
This is a vegan recipe.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon (all of the zest, half of the juice)
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seed, plus 3 tablespoons of water)
- 3/4 cups oat flour
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, coarsely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or non-stick baking paper. Set aside.
- Prepare your flax egg by whisking 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, combine the chickpeas, cilantro, lemon zest and juice, garlic, and spices. Process until almost paste-like, but with a little texture.
- Pour the chickpea mixture into a large bowl and add in the flax egg, oat flour, red onion, and sunflower seeds and stir until well combined.
- Divide the batter into 4-6 sections, depending on your preference, and use your hands to form the sections of dough into patties about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place the patties on your prepared baking tray and bake them in the oven for about 30 minutes, flipping half way through, or until the patties reach your desired dryness. Bake the patties longer for dryer, firmer patties or take them out sooner for softer, doughier patties.
- Serve on buns or a bed of lettuce with the toppings of your choice.