Your mother always told you that breakfast was the most important meal of the day, after having this burrito…we could not agree more. This chorizo breakfast burrito offers a spicy twist on what is often the most mundane meal of the day. By combining black beans, vegan chorizo, tofu, and a smooth cashew chipotle cream you will be feel like you have a fiesta in your mouth. If you are not on themove and have a little more time to savor this sampling, pair this burrito with some fresh pico de gallo, a spalsh of hot sauce and a few avocado slices.
Black Bean & Chorizo Breakfast Burrito Recipe
This recipe is vegan and completely dairy free.
- 16 ounces firm tofu
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 package vegan chorizo
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or other cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Pico de gallo, for garnish (recommended)
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Soak the cashews for 2 hours or overnight, then drain. If you’re short on time, you can boil the cashews for 10 minutes to soften.
- In a large skillet, heat the grapeseed oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until the onion becomes slightly translucent then add the garlic. Sauté for another minute, then add the chorizo. Keep stirring for 1-2 minutes, then crumble in the tofu.
- Mix the tofu into the chorizo until it is thoroughly covered and the tofu turns orange. You want the chorizo flavor to get into the tofu. Stir in the black beans and reduce heat to medium. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, combine the soaked cashews, sea salt, salsa, and optional chili powder in a high-powered blender. Mix on high until the chipotle cream is smooth.
- Heat the tortillas in a covered skillet on medium heat for 10-20 seconds. Spoon a dollop of chipotle cream onto a tortilla and top it with a heaping scoop of the chorizo mixture. Roll up your burrito and top it with more chipotle cream, avocado, and pico de gallo.