If you like tender sauteed carrots and onions, then covered in a smoky homemade barbecue sauce… then you have come to the right place. This tasty concoction is served up on a bun to create the perfect pulled vegetable sandwich. The end result is tender and mouth-wateringly delicious, with a zesty kick. It was much easier to make than we expected. Add your favorite coleslaw to top it off, and enjoy.
BBQ PULLED CARROT SANDWICH [VEGAN]
This recipe is completely vegan.
FOR THE BBQ SAUCE:
- 1 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, maple syrup, or agave nectar
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, or to taste
FOR THE SANDWICH:
- 4-6 large carrots, julienned or spiralized
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- A few drops liquid smoke
- 4 buns or rolls
- Cole slaw (optional)
- Combine the ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, taste for seasoning adjustments, and set aside.
- Julienne or spiralize the carrots into thin matchsticks or ribbons. Heat the oil in a deep sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for 3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the barbecue sauce to the pan and toss the carrots in it. Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and let the carrots stew until they are soft and tender, about 10 minutes. Add a bit of liquid smoke to the carrots and cook for another minute.
- Open four buns or rolls and pile on the pulled carrots. Spoon more BBQ sauce over the carrots. Top with cole slaw, if desired.