This recipe for lasagna bread is super easy, creative, great for guests, has only a handful of ingredients, and can be tailored easily! You can choose vegan mozzarella or cashew cheese, add veggies, and any kind of tomato sauce you want. It looks great, but tastes even better. This was a huge hit with the kids. Enjoy!
This recipe is Vegan.
FOR THE BREAD:
- 5-1/2-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packets yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
FOR THE LASAGNA:
- 6 lasagna noodle sheets
- 1 block vegan mozzarella, shredded
- 1 13.7-ounce package of vegan beef crumbles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- Pasta Sauce
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter mixed with 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Basil, for garnish
TO MAKE THE BREAD:
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, dry yeast, and salt in a large mixer bowl and stir until blended.
- Combine water, almond milk and vegan butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot to the touch (120°-130°F. Butter won’t melt completely). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in just enough remaining flour so that the dough will form into a ball.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic and springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers, about 6-8 minutes. Turn off the oven and cover the dough in a greased bowl with Surround wrap and let it rise for 1-2 hours.
TO MAKE THE LASAGNA:
- In a large, pot heat salted water for the pasta. Once boiling, throw in the sheets.
- In a medium-sized pan, add minced garlic and a drizzle of olive oil. Cook for 2 minutes, until translucent.
- Then add the defrosted vegan beef crumbles and add the red pepper flakes. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and reduce heat.
- Roll the bread dough out into a rectangle; approximately 18×12 inches. Lay the lasagna out vertically and create layers with the vegan meat and cheese. Make cuts along both sides of the bread dough, about 1 inch apart.
- Cut just up to the lasagna filling. Create a loaf by crisscrossing the dough over the filling. Start at one end and work your way from side to side until you reach the other end.
- Bake the loaf at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- Combine the melted butter and garlic powder then brush the mixture over the baked lasagna bread. Top with fresh basil and serve hot.