This cashew and almond milk delight is sure to make your movie night or Netflix ‘n Chill time a hit. This ice cream was way more rich and creamy than we expected. The ice cream base has a rich vanilla flavor and is loaded with bites of peanut butter cookie dough throughout.
Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ice Cream
This recipe is vegan as well as dairy free.
FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH:
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup muscovado sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
FOR THE ICE CREAM:
- 1 1/4 cups raw cashews, soaked in cold water for 4-6 hours
- 1 2/3 cups almond milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup muscovado sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
TO MAKE THE COOKIE DOUGH:
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut oil with the peanut butter, muscovado sugar, and vanilla extract using a hand mixer. Little by little add the flour, the mixture will be very crumbly and dry. Gradually begin adding small amounts of almond milk until dough reaches desired consistency. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
TO MAKE THE ICE CREAM:
- Drain the cashews. In a high-speed blender or food processor, add the cashews, almond milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, muscovado sugar, vanilla, and salt, and blend until creamy and smooth. Transfer to an airtight container and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Before churning the ice cream, scoop the cookie dough into 1/2 teaspoon-sized balls and place on a plate. Churn the ice cream using an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer’s instructions. A few minutes before it finishes churning, add in the chunks of cookie dough. Transfer to an airtight container, then cover and freeze for at least 6 hours, or until firm.
- Before serving, place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes so it can soften.